The journey so far...
From an early age I've always been interested in computers; always wondering how they worked, why they worked, and what else they could accomplish. This interest never left me, only growing more profound with every new discovery. From interacting with an AI application, to discovering the vastness of the internet, computers have left me fascinated with just how much power and mystery they hold.
This curiosity led me to study computer science; reading countless numbers of books, blogs, and forums gave me an insight into the intricacies of software development.
To help further my studies, I joined the Junior Philippine Computer Society shortly after enrolling at FEU - EAC (now FEU Institute of Technology). During my tenure, I was given the important task of collaborating with Microsoft to launch DreamSpark (now Imagine Cup) in the Philippines. This project meant a lot as successfully delivering on it would enable me and my fellow students, access to Microsoft professional design and development tools for free. At its completion, we launched JPCS Live, officially enabling qualified students from more than 20 schools in the Philippines, access to MSDN-AA —the academic version of MSDN.
Makati, Philippines - 2009
Since then, I've been developing software on and off when inspiration, or more often than not, the itch to learn something new strikes. In fact, this website started out of that; a showcase of my
lack of photography skills, driving the need for me to generate content, thereby incentivizing and pushing me to go outside and take part in the world around me, to be consumed by new experiences I never thought I'd do. From gaining altitude through mountaineering, to loosing it through S.C.U.B.A. diving, gone are the alibis of the old me, saying there's nothing out there, or that it's too dangerous.
Leading and working closely with experienced software developers, on a variety of challenging projects, for better or for worse, keeps me up at night.
My professional career started at Emerson. I worked on a number of projects such as automation, data collection, web, and software maintenance lifecycle. I was also heavily involved in internationalization and branding efforts of our product offerings. Emerson was where I nurtured my talents as a software developer. There, I was encouraged to explore, to discover, to fail and to try again. My tenure there shaped who I am today, and where I would most likely be several years from now.
Pasig, Philippines - 2016
After a couple of years, I've decided to move on and look for new opportunities; I had New Zealand on my sights for a long time, and there was where I ended up emigrating to.
I joined Provoke shortly after arriving. There, my first project was to develop a PoC that would enable identification of objects through the use of machine learning.
Wellington, New Zealand - 2018
Over the coming months, I was given the opportunity to work on, and successfully deliver on a number of projects for companies such as FENZ1, ANZ1, NZ Post1, Marram, Hopsta, and Microsoft1. I was also involved on a number of internal initiatives such as the current Provoke website.
1. Internal client projects.
- Joined Booster as a Senior .Net Developer.
- Migrated repositories to GitLab; CI/CD pipelines to Netlify.
- Took up playing an acoustic guitar.
- Granted New Zealand Permanent Residency.
- Developed a Machine Learning PoC.
- Passed Azure DevOps Assessment (18473).
- Launched MarcSantos.co.nz.
- Launched MarcSantos.dev.
- Passed Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure (AZ-203).
- Passed Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions (AZ-400).
- Acquired MarcSantos.com.
- Emigrated to New Zealand.
- Joined Provoke as a Software Developer.
- Signed-up to Azure.
- Developed a Computer Vision PoC.
- Granted New Zealand Residency.
- Worked on my PADI AOWD license.
- Submitted 3 patent disclosures.
- Traveled to Malaysia & Singapore.
- Launched JoyfulDowntime.com.
- Signed-up to AWS.
- Traveled to Hong Kong & Macau.
- Took up SCUBA diving.
- Worked on my PADI OWD license.
- Traveled to Cambodia, South Korea, Thailand, & Vietnam
- Took up playing a DJ controller.
- Took up surfing.
- Took up photography.
- Took up mountaineering.
- Launched MarcAngeloSantos.com.
- Signed-up to Google Apps (now G Suite).
- Commenced my MBA studies.
- Took up playing an electric guitar.
- Competed in the Microsoft Imagine Cup Competition.
- Earned my BS in Computer Science.
- Joined Emerson as an Entry Software Developer.
- Launched JPCSLive.net.